CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 5, 2009

Finding Joy In Everyday Things

Have you thought about the everyday things in life that bring you joy?

Music connects me to my soul in ways that nothing else can. Heated seats, even in California, is a wonderful simple pleasure. Coffee may have replaced blood in my veins...LOVE IT! Chocolate is a daily ritual...it MUST be dark! Running somewhere beautiful like the beach or in the mountains.


Time with friends laughing and sharing. Collecting lotions and luxurious soaps has become quite an addiction. I can close my eyes and pretend I'm on vacation or at the spa with just a shower and a slathering of something delicious on my body. Photos of my family and friends are also an obsession. On vacations or special outings I take hundreds of digital pictures. I love them! I think it stems from being the fourth child with only a handful of pictures and one album of my childhood to show for it.


Candles, candles everywhere...by my front door, on my dining room table, over every fireplace, in the bathrooms, kitchen, bedrooms...really they are everywhere! They make me SO happy. I light them several times a day. They make even the most everyday events seem more special.


Watching my kids laugh instantly fills me with joy. When they show genuine kindness like bringing me their favorite blanket and teddy when I feel sick, or show compassion for a homeless person, or ask to pray because an ambulance just went whizzing by. Sneaking in to steal kisses as my 11,9, and 6 year old sleep. I can't resist making sure they are still breathing.


I love eating new foods, riding bikes in the rain, pretending to sing like my favorite artists, getting sweaty and dirty doing something new and adventurous, exploring trails, play dates with my husband, movie night and pizza with my family. I love our little house that is just the right size for us. We can walk to school, walk to our little downtown, play with neighborhood kids, and comfortably be outside 12 months of the year.


Looking at all of these simple pleasures and realizing that these are just the tip of the iceberg I stand amazed! Sometimes busyness disconnects me from experiencing the simple pleasures in my life. Then I take the time to engage and find joy in the everyday moments and listen to my soul. Deep down I know the truth...God is present in these simple pleasures, and He is so good!

18 comments:

Liz in Virginia said...

This really hits home with me today -- I am counting my blessings.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by on my SITS Day!!

Looks like a welcome is in order for you in joining the blog world!!

I am also a huge candle fan!

Unknown said...

I love candles, too...and I don't get nearly enough face time with my girlfriends. I am having a GNO (Girls' Night Out) tonight though, and am very relieved b/c it's long overdue and much needed.

I sneak in to kiss my kiddos before I go to bed every night. They are so innocent and lovely when they're asleep. I love it. They sometimes open their eyes in a half-knowing way, not really seeing, not entirely wakeful. I cover them with soft kisses and tear up on occasion. It makes up for whatever drama has gone on during the day.

Ducky said...

I think after a long (nearly 5 year) struggle with infertility and finally giving birth to our beautiful daughter put so much of life in perspective for me/us. It is truly the everyday things in life that make my world go round. The sun is just that much warmer, the sky that much bluer. No one could ever put a price on or buy for me the things and moments in which I find happiness, peace, love, joy and contentment. God is SO good and blesses beyond our wildest dreams in moments we could never have anticipated. I feel blessed and rich just to know that I can recognize those moments of blessing for what they are.
With a full heart I extend my Thanks for grounding me this morning. I needed it.

Holly Lefevre said...

That is fantastic...
"Sometimes busyness disconnects me from experiencing the simple pleasures in my life. "
A huge problem of mine...I am working very, very hard to fix it. I may not always get it right, but I keep trying.
Holly @ 504 Main

Lee said...

What a great post. I guess I can be thankful that my bladder hasn't fallen out. Sorry, not feeling great today....

Tracie said...

Great post. I definently need frequent reminders to be thankful for what I have.

ScoMan said...

I know it's been said, but this is a great post. It's making me now stop and look around for the things I appreciate, and how little time I make for them.

Thanks for the wake up call =)

Jenn Erickson said...

What a wonderful, joyful, positive post. Thank you. I think we all need a reminder every now and then to count all the blessings in our lives. I can't disagree with a single one you mentioned. Thanks for stopping by and following Rook No. 17 ~ a kindred spirt ~ Jenn

I Wonder Wye said...

Your blog is beautiful. Just what I'd design if I was any good on the computer! I have a draft about my simple pleasures, too, and will probably post it this week -- I agree with all of yours -- the dark chocolate in particular!! I have lived with a rare cancer since 1985 and have had 11 major surgeries and have become mildly handicapped (walk with a cane, drive with hand controls, looking at a kidney transplant, have relearned how to walk and write twice) and as life pares down and you face these challenges it really hits you that yeah, it's all about the simple pleasures. Trite but true......

MJ said...

It is the simple things in life that make it complete, and you are right, it is those things that we often overlook.
Thank you for the follow on my site, I didn't take the time to comment on yours last night because I did go to bed so that I could start today anew!

nope said...

Ah! Simple pleasures indeed! A good book, candles (my husband lights them more than I do!), sharing a belly laugh with a great friend and sushi!

Your blog is SO pretty! Thanks for stopping by hurstburst; I'm looking foward to getting to know you two ladies! Following right back!

Stephanie said...

Oh I love love this idea and this post!
Fab blog.

said...

I really need to make chocolate a daily ritual in my life too. Why didn't I think of that before?! :o)

Shannon said...

I love this post! I'm going to think of my own little things and make up a list. Thank you for sharing, we all need this everyone in awhile!

Heather said...

You know the hymn "Count Your Blessings"? This post instantly brought that song to mind, and it is one of my favorites. The joy of counting your blessings along with your children is that your positive and grateful attitude will set such a great example for them. In this world of wanting more and not being satisfied, a grateful heart is a rare one indeed.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

OMG, I love that pic of the sleeping munchkin. Peeking in on my own when he's konked out brings me a smile every time!

Shannon said...

Just so ya'll know...who needs I-tunes. I am just playing your Van Morrison playlist over and over. AWESOME!