CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 10, 2009

It's Raining

We all have Faith in one form or another. We all believe in something. It might be a concept, a person, a feeling, a doctrine, perhaps even a faith that there is nothing to believe in. We'd like to embrace you wherever you are on your faith journey. No criticism, no judgment, just a chance to experience God and see how He would like to reveal Himself to you. Here is something that happened to us last Spring that we wanted to share.

Several years ago my husband started his own company. It blessed us not with enormous monetary gain, but with time. Time for my husband to have more dimension to his life outside of work, time for him to help in our kids classrooms at school, time for him to get home early enough for us to have regular family dinners together. It has been all that we hoped and more.

Hubby & kids on a hike last Spring.

It has also been a struggle. Financing is no easy task for any organization right now. During one particularly difficult time we rented the movie "Facing the Giants" for one of our movie/pizza nights with the kids. This is not a highly produced Hollywood film, it is a simple low budget movie with a moving message about the power of God in our lives. During one scene the coach is overwhelmed with all of the turmoil in his life. He is approached by a man that tells him this parable. "Two men asked God for rain. One prepared his fields to receive the rain, the other did nothing. Which man do you think God blessed with the rain?"


My husband had been feeling really low and uncertain that all of the effort he was putting into his company to save it would ever make any difference at all. I looked over at him during that scene and saw tears in his eyes. It was such an encouragement for my husband to continue pushing forward. A couple of weeks later we woke up to get the kids ready for school and our son Ben ran to the breakfast table to announce with great hope, "Papa it's raining!" My husband smiled and said, "That's great Ben." Ben just looked at us and said, "Don't you get it, you prepared the fields Papa and God is sending the rain." Such faith, such hope, out of the mouth of a child. It infused us all with anticipation to expectantly watch for God to work out a plan for good. I wish I could say that was the day that the company was funded. Sometimes things just aren't that simple. But in God's unique way, He used a movie and my son's childlike faith to teach our family a valuable lesson of trust.

A great family movie to rent at your local video store!

"Facing The Giants"

17 comments:

Lee said...

We watched it too with the kids. It was a good movie. Didn't know it was about God when we watched it.

ballast photography said...

We watched that movie with our kids, too! Thanks for the reminder about its message. At present, we're not too far away from that murky place on life's map where you need to remember faith and hope the most.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

What a wonderful and inspirational post. I never saw the movie, but I am putting it on my list to see with my family.

Isn't it precious how our little children pick us up when we need it the most? It's like they have this power that keeps recharging us when we think we can't do it anymore. We think we are their cheerleaders, but in reality they are ours.

Unknown said...

Yes, it is out of the mouths of babes where some of life's mysteries are fully revealed if one care's to listen closely...

A touching post. Thank you.

Unknown said...

We haven't yet seen that movie but based on this I'm going to add it to our Netflix queue. This was a very moving and thougtful post.

We are Jewish and we need to get to synagogue more often. It's a struggle with little kids, but I always feel so much better about myself and about life when I go semi-regularly.

Thank you for sharing this!

Holly Lefevre said...

I am coming back to read the whole thing later...I am on a hit and run mission this am...there is something for you on my blog.
Holly

Purple Flowers said...

This is a very touching post about the strength of faith. I am glad your family watched that movie together! It seems like your son was really listening. :)

Ducky said...

It's been on our TO WATCH list for a long time! We haven't seen a movie in like 400 years! LOL... once our little vampire starts sleeping through the night (yes, she's nearly 14 mos and doesn't sleep through the night yet) we may actually get to have a movie night.

Great post -as always very though provoking. I really like how your posts allow us to be so introspective. Thank you!

MJ said...

Our children's love and faith is so PURE and innocent. I think He does that so that we have a constant reminder how we should love Him and have faith in Him.
Wonderful, thought provoking post. We will have to rent "Facing the Giants" as a family soon.
XOXO MJ of Dirty Little Confessions

Sue said...

So, we see a different side of the ladies today. This is a wonderful message that can really apply to so many situations. I like you funny and I also like you wise.

Sue

(now that I've said something nice, could I just add that my "word" to post this is BEEVAR.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This post was wonderfully uplifting! I'm new to your blog and my question is, how do I know which of you has written any given written post?

Anonymous said...

Even the child shall lead them. Such a powerful post.

Life Laugh Latte said...

Hi Friends!
*Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments about this post. Really made our day.
*Sue - You crack me up!
*PJ - 99% of everything written will come from me...Holly. Charisse loves the video angle, but she is adjusting to a lot of life changes. All of them good, but they have her strapped for time. She comes over some Tuesdays and every Thursday to help me comment/video tape our conversations/and help me plan what we might post next. That's how it works for now.
*Welcome PJ and Corvedacosta! Thrilled to have you!!

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Love the post; children see things so simply and purely, don't they?

Laura said...

I love this post! I started my own company in 2007 and although it didnt make me rich, I have been able to live a much better life via time with my family and doing what I love. Times are tough right now and I may not have a salary next month..and who knows if the mortgage will get paid..but I have Faith!! Faith all my hard work will be rewarded or atleast directed elsewhere..for the positive!! Never Give UP!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I am now a follower of yours as well!

Laura at My Best Day Ever..
http://mybde.blogspot.com

Willoughby said...

Wonderful post!

Lothiriel said...

Haven't seen that movie, but now, I will.

I loved this blog. I understand it perfectly. I prayed for a baby at the beginning, did nothing. So, I began preparing my body (losing weight, becoming healthier, eating the right foods...) and still prayed. My prayers were answered. God gives us the means to help ourselves in his name. I believe deeply in his word.