CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

She's Crafty...Not Really

Actually, I am NOT crafty! I love to take pictures with our little digital camera, and probably like you, struggle with how to use those pictures and not just leave them stored on my computer. My sister-in-law who goes by Aunt Ruthie on her super homemaking blog http://www.sugarpiefarmhouse.com made an adorable family tree for her home. I thought I had a photo of her version...but I just can't find it. Shoot!

We don't live close to family...but I wanted my kids to see pictures of them everyday. So, I made a family tree...and because our friendships have become our extended family I also made a friendship tree. It sits in a corner of our dining room right next to the dinner table. Everyone who comes over makes a comment about how much they like it. One great function of it is that it holds about 20 photos, and it is easy to change out the pictures whenever you choose. Aunt Ruthie's version was a little too country for our home, so I made some modifications to her great idea and mine looks like this.

Here are one of the photos up close. I didn't want to make each frame by hand so I used a photo mailer made by Martha Stewart and cut them apart. You could also use nice card stock and those sticky corners and slide in the photo. Then I hole punched the top of the frame, threaded cording through the hole to hang the picture, and covered the hole with a decorative brad. Most of the supplies I was able to buy at a local store called Michaels. They don't sell supplies online, but I included the links so you could see clearly what I purchased. When Ruthie did her project she used a beautiful branch she cut down from one of her trees outside. She lives in the country in Missouri, so that option worked for her. I had each color photo printed in black and white...and waaalaaa it looks cohesive and contemporary. Once I had the supplies I easily put the project together in one afternoon. My daughter enjoyed helping me too! I hope this inspires you to do something lovely for your home.


Photo mailer
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=pc0988

Brads
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=sb1135

Braided Sticks
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fl0879

What I love is how one person's vision can be a catalyst for so many other great ideas. That is something all of you do for me in countless ways every day!

If you enjoyed this post remember to leave a comment, tell a friend, become a Follower...because we just love having company!

23 comments:

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

I really like that idea. I think I'm pretty creative, but I love to be inspired by other people's ideas, thank you! And, BTW, I love your blog banner, so cool :)

MJ said...

Love it! I can see doing something like this - ONCE the heathens, err I mean darling children, are a little older. Right now I think it would just be asking for trouble - "Hey when did Aunt Julie grow a mustache!?!"

Lee said...

That is so cute!! But, then I'd have to dig up all the pictures....make everything...sigh...but I really love yours. Wanna come over and do mine??

Holly Lefevre said...

What a sweet idea. I should really do that...since we do now live by any family either. The kids love to look at photos and what a great way to be reminded of how lucky we are to have these people in our lives.

Holly @ 504 Main

Ducky said...

AWESOME IDEA but I think I would need a forest. I'm sorta nurotic when it comes to photos and my last order (ummm... like a week ago) from Kodak was for 457 prints. I didn't get doubles or anything...

Tracie said...

Very cute! I don't have the patience to finish a project like that though. After you finish Lee's, you can come over and make mine, too.

Gretchen said...

What a great idea! There is something so very special about having pictures of loved ones around us. It really makes a home feel even more filled with love! A great conversation piece too! Thanks for sharing! Thank you also for your sweet comments on my blog! ~Gretchen

Sandra said...

This is a great idea. Maybe I can find the time to do one. Yours turned out great!

Unknown said...

I love this. I'm just not sure I could really do it even though it seems so simple. Mine wouldn't turn out as cute as yours. Thanks for sharing all the links, too!

DiPaola Momma said...

That is SO chic I LOVE IT! I'm forever snapping pics and doing nothing w/them. Heck I even have one up in the foyer of my oldest son at 6 years old.. He'll be SIXTEEN at the end of the month!! I've got to get crackin' on this one. Thanks for stopping by The Nuggets. I'm blog stalkin' ya now so you'd better come back often!

Stephanie Faris said...

I love that! I've seen something like that somewhere...but it was really expensive. That seems like a crafty alternative. I'm just not that talented.

ScoMan said...

This is a great idea. I'm at least an hour away from any of my family, so maybe it's something I should consider throwing in the home somewhere.

But, looking at them every day will probably make me miss them too much, so maybe not.

CCW said...

I ADORE this idea — and I do consider myself pretty crafty, yet it never would have occurred to me to create such a chic family tree! I am so digging this — and your whole site. Thanks for coming over to my corner of the world so I could find & follow you :-)

Dame Nuisance said...

Fabulous picture tree. And black and white was absolutely the way to go - it turns any snap shot into a photograph worthy of display.

ballast photography said...

Love the tree, completely adore the idea--I'm just stuck on the part where you completed it in one afternoon, because, wow, you guys must have WAY more focus than me. Here's how it would go down in my house: After an intense shopping session involving multiple stores, I'd come home with several bags which may or may not contain the required craft elements. I'd be too tired to deal with the bags, so I'd stash them in the corner, on my table, or (if company was coming) under the bed. The next day, I'd begin looking through my computer for photos. I'd get lost somewhere along memory lane, stopping often for coffee breaks and random forays around the internet and my Word files. Undoubtedly, I'd discover something that needed my immediate attention. IF--and this is a big IF--I ever collected and printed the photos, I wouldn't be able to find the bags of supplies. A search would be launched. And, I assure you, if the bags were ever found, I'd have everything I needed except one key item. So--you can see now why I am so impressed. Great post. I'll be back again soon.

Purple Flowers said...

I found your blog through Willoughby, and LOVE it. Where does Martha Stewart sell her mailers?
Thanks, and I'll be stopping by again for more reading. :)
~Kathy

Holly Lefevre said...

Hey Holly - You asked about my photos and how I get them looking they way they do...do you want to email me, hipweddings@yahoo.com and I will tell you what I do...not sure that I am doing it right, but happy to share.

I tried to figure out how to email you, but I am stumped...I am so not techno-savvy!

Holly

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This is very cute! Inexpensive, creative and, yes, crafty! You are crafty! Repeat after me, "I am crafty. I am crafty. I am crafty!"

Savvy-Motherhood said...

wow that is SOOO cool. I love that idea. :)

Willoughby said...

So clever! This would be a great gift for my kids to give to my mom and dad!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That is such a fabulous idea! I am lucky enough to live minutes from my family, but the hubs' whole brood is in Minnesota. : )

Jenn Erickson said...

Thanks for stopping by and my Fancy Schmancy Cupcake Tutorial today. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I love this family tree project. My husband has often remarked that we have no family photos in our house (except ones of long-dead ancestors). The tree would fit perfectly into my decor. Thanks for the tremendous inspiration. Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com

said...

I absolutely LOVE how that picture tree turned out! Guess somebody IS crafty!