CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 12, 2009

The Middle Place

This is an honest, fascinating look at how life in adulthood is so delicately intertwined with our childhood. The "Middle Place" is where the two intersect to form the whole of who we are. Kelly skillfully knits together the story of her childhood with a tragic experience going on in her present life. She lovingly describes what it means to grow up Corrigan. Endearing!


Her trials made me ponder how I would handle similar circumstances given my "middle place". It also helped me think about what my kids need from their childhood to help them cope well with the inevitable struggles that come in adult life. There was so much that I admired, even coveted about her childhood. Many examples of tenderness between her and her father that warmed my heart. The one thing I longed to see her embrace was the faith that came so easily to her father. I know God would have loved to embrace her during her time of desperation!

Her unwavering commitment to family and friendship made me think about how well I am doing in this area of my life. Do I love with a similar kind of passion and devotion? This book is funny, touching, painfully honest, and a tribute to the power of love. A quick read that is worth every moment. To make it easy for you, you can purchase this through Amazon right here on our blog in the right column.

Youtube link to hear Kelly talk about The Middle Place. A beautiful video.


19 comments:

Ally Wasmund said...

Wow. This book is def. going on my "must read" list. Thank you so much! :)

Helen McGinn said...

This sounds like a great read; thank you for sharing. Stopped by from SITS. x

Lee said...

I LOVED this book!! My husband bought it for me, and I could not put it down. She is so inspirational.

Life Laugh Latte said...

Shout out to the commenters this morning!
*A side note that I didn't mention in the post is that she is a Bay Area girl. A ton of my friends told me I HAD to read this book, but because she went by Kelly Corrigan (maiden name) I didn't realize that I actually knew her. Her husband worked for my husband at TIVO. We had dinner a few times at their home before they had children. I remember the day hubby came home with tears in his eyes telling me Kelly had cancer. Many, many nights we prayed for their family. There are so many hard things in life, but many of those hard things open up avenues to us that would have never been possible before. Now she touches all who read her story with a special power she didn't possess without the trial. She really is magnetic and inspiring.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

What an inspiration. It must be an honor to know this wonderful person and her family.

I will be putting her book on my list. As far as I'm concerned you never have enough inspiration in life.There is always somebody who can teach so much more.

Sue said...

If the video clip brings tears to my eyes, I can only imagine what the book will do. I am certainly in that "middle place." We have 4 aging parents between us, 2 20-somethings that still need us, and 2 grandsons under the age of 3...Surprise! I still call home when a crisis hits, and believe me...when you have 20-somethings, they hit fairly often. I will read this book.

Sue

ballast photography said...

I have to confess that I didn't know anything about this book before reading your post, but I think you sold me on reading it! I always enjoy a good book review, particularly when it is enhanced by video! And, wow--you actually know her...

Susan Berlien said...

Cool book! Thanks! :)

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

love finding new books to add to my shelf! thanks for the heads up !

Unknown said...

I read this and loved it, too. I lent it to my mom afterwards, and told all my friends about it. I loved it that much. For some reason I can't open these video clips right now, but will try again later...

ScoMan said...

Sounds like a book I could learn a lot from

Purple Flowers said...

I am without words.

Jenn Erickson said...

This sounds like a wonderful book. I'm going to add it to my book list. Thanks ladies!

Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com

P.S. Thanks for the excellent idea about using slide.com for awards and the like.

Stephanie Faris said...

I don't have a child but being a semi-stepparent (my live-in boyfriend has a daughter) I now look at stories of people's difficult childhoods completely differently. I realize parenting is tough work...but all kids need is a loving, nurturing environment to thrive. It perplexes me how people could treat a child badly...especially their own.

Kimberly said...

Well, we know you got my interest! lol Reading and blogging time: You asked how do I do both. Well, nowadays it's easier with both kids in school, I blog in the morning. With coffee. I know I'm sitting drinking my joe so why not double work it..ya know?

The rest of the day is left to housework, reading, crocheting, writing and or painting. I don't always have time every day for everything, but I don't think I do too badly!

Sissi M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sissi M. said...

Thanks. I'm at work...tearing up, trying to keep from bawling. Great post. It's amazing what a small world we live in too. The fact that you know this woman or someone fighting the same battle makes it very surreal. Now I have to go sneak a cigarette and regain my composure. *sniffles*

MJ said...

I am always looking for new reads, and I think I just found one I will LOVE thanks to you. Some how I find time in my busy schedule to do so, I think that is how I stay sane some days!
MJ of Dirty Little Confessions

Tracie said...

I haven't read this but I just put it "on the list". Now, if I could put down the laptop and start reading the list.